Saturday, April 23, 2005

Google Satellite Maps... and Nuclear Reactors



Click here for AmazonAfter noting the obfuscation of the U.S. Capitol Building in Google's satellite maps, I decided to see what else might be similarly obscured. Whether at the behest of DHS -- or simply because it makes sense -- I would expect Google to render certain areas of the country somewhat opaque.

Consider nuclear reactors, for instance. I can't think of any good reason to show high-resolution detail of a reactor and its surrounding environs. So, for the heck of it, I tracked down the reactor (and I won't mention the location) pictured above. At least, I'm pretty sure it's a reactor. Email me if you recognize it as something else ("Ross, that's an amusement park in Beaver Falls, Minnohsota, you maroon!").

In any case, I'd recommend that you do as I did and contact Google to request that certain venues -- like reactors -- be obfuscated. Let's not make a bad guy's job any easier.

Google Maps: Contact Google
 

No comments: